Birds come in many sizes and colours. Common types of birds kept in Singapore include Canaries, Budgerigars, Zebra doves (merboks), White Eyes, Bulbuls, Lovebirds and Cockatiels.
Variable, depending on type of bird
Canaries 10-15 years
Lovebirds 6-12 years
Cockateils 15-20 years
Budgerigars 12-15 years
Oriental White Eye 5-8 years
Bulbuls 8-10 years
Zebra Dove 10-15 years
African Grey Parrot 50-70 years
• Appropriately sized aviary or cage (with cage cover)
• Food & water
• Food and water dishes
• Bird bath
• Cuttlefish bone/calcium carbonate
• Grit (for seed eaters)
• Lots of time and love
Different types of birds eat different things. Some birds eat seeds but others eat fruits. Many birds are omnivores. Buy an appropriate type of feed that is suitable for the type of bird you have.
Other items your pet may need:
We also recommend that you have a nail trimmer and provide toys (mirrors, ladders and others) to keep the bird occupied when you are not around.
Bird Owner’s Timetable:
• Do not make sudden movements or loud noises around your bird.
• Feed your bird about the same time every day, as they like to have a fixed schedule.
• Buy a cage that will provide your bird with enough space to stretch its wings.