Chinchillas are shy delicate animals that require careful handling. If fed improperly or kept in hot conditions, chinchillas can easily fall ill or die. As they become stressed easily, they require a patient and gentle owner.
There are many colours of chinchillas such as gray, brown, black and white.
Up to 15 years
• Tall cage closed at the top (they love to jump around)
• Food & water
• Water bottle & food dish
• Bathing dust/sand
• Mineral or wooden blocks (for natural trimming of teeth)
• Lots of time and love
Other items your pet may need:
We also recommend that you provide toys, and you may need claw clippers to keep their claws trim.
Chinchillas are herbivores. Feed your chinchilla small amounts of pellets made especially for them, lots of hay (dried grass) and a tiny amount of fresh fruits and vegetables like carrots, apples or xiao bai cai. Limit raisins and other dried fruits to only two or three pieces a day, as too many will give your chinchilla a stomachache.
Chinchilla Owner’s Timetable:
• Avoid making loud, sudden noises or movements around your chinchilla.
• Keep your pet in cool surroundings (with the air conditioner/fan on) and out of direct sunlight.
• Avoid giving your pet too many treats.
• Chinchillas should never be bathed in water. Use a commercially available sand/dust bath instead.
• Keep wires and other dangerous items out of reach or your chinchilla will chew on them.
• Provide a tall cage as chinchillas are climbers.
• Chinchillas can be friendly but they also like some quiet time alone. They also do not like to be cuddled too much.
• Watch your pet carefully when you let it out of its cage.